We are happy to announce the release of Version 0.13 of the Firmware and Sensel App. With this release, you can remap all of the Control Areas on an Overlay and change the event type of each Control Area. We have also included an Alpha version of MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression), which can change each Control Area into a MPE pad. You can learn more about MPE here.
Go to the Sensel Quick Start Page to download the latest Sensel App (currently 0.13.16) and make sure to update your Morph firmware to the latest firmware (currently 0.13.254).
Control Area Events
With the Version 0.13 update, you can change the event type of each Overlay Control Area, allowing you to mix Keyboard events, MIDI events, and Gamepad Events all on one Overlay.
After updating your Morph Firmware and Sensel App, you can click on individual Control Areas and customize the event by clicking the dropdown menu at the top right of the inspector. This will give you access to all the available options for each Control Area.
For most Control Areas, you get access to the following options:
- Keyboard: Allows you to press a keyboard key along with modifiers. The FN option is also available when you press on the FN key.
- MIDI Note: Sends Note On/Off events on a channel of your choosing. An After-Pressure CC value can also be sent each frame with the pressure applied to the control area.
- MIDI CC: The same as the MIDI note, but sends On/Off CC Events.
- Media: Send common media keys like Volume Up/Down/Mute, Brightness Up/Down.
- MMC (MIDI Machine Control): Part of the MIDI spec that provides recording controls like Play, Stop, Pause and Record.
- Morph MIDI Modifiers: Controls how MIDI performs on the Morph, including changing octaves, changing scenes and toggling sustain/velocity/pitchbend. Many events do not send a MIDI signal so an After-Pressure CC event can be added to indicate activation.
- MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression): An alpha implementation of the MPE spec that turns a Control Area into a X/Y/Pressure pad with Note On/Off events. More information below.
Due to the shape of some control areas, they are currently limited to being Keyboard or MIDI sliders/knobs.
With this update, you can change your Piano Overlay into a keyboard control panel, or your Drumpad Overlay into a game controller, or your Music Production Overlay into an Overlay that sends MPE events, MIDI CC events and Keyboard events all on one Overlay.
MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression) Alpha Release
We are happy to release an early version of MPE with Version 0.13. We think MPE is very exciting and is a perfect match for the Morph. With MPE, each contact is sent on a different channel, allowing for channel messages (like Pitch Bend) to be applied to that note/contact. Currently, our Alpha release of MPE sends MIDI information on Channels 2-16 (leaving Channel 1 open for global values). Each Control Area can send Note On/Off events and CC/Pitchbend/Aftertouch events for X/Y/Pressure. We also support 14 bit CC values (LSB sent to CC + 32) and Absolute position via checkboxes in the inspector.
If you want examples of how these Overlays can be mapped, you can download .senselmap files from the following locations:
Music Production MPE Sensel Map
Piano MPE Sensel Map
To import them into the Sensel App, click the Import Map option in the overflow menu (three dots at the top right). Then you can click “Send Map to Morph” to send this Map on your Morph.
Since this is an Alpha release, not all of the MPE spec has been implemented at this time. In the future we will allow for greater control over each MPE Control Area and Globally for the Overlay. We will be adding documentation for MPE in the near future.
We have some exciting updates coming down the line in the near future and we will continue to keep you updated on the progress of these updates. A Linux Sensel App, AZERTY/Dvorak Support in the Sensel App, greater parameter customization, improvements for Art, and many other updates are on the roadmap. Thank you for your continued support!
Please leave any feedback about this update below and feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com if you have any questions.