MPE pitch glide up keys?

just switched from Roli to Sensel. loving Sensel, but how can i play, lets say a D note, and while i have it held down, slide up the keys, with out new keys being played, and just the pitch rising as i slide up the keys?
how do i do this? is there a setting to take it out of regular piano mode?

Hello, thank you for contacting us. Currently this is not possible with the Piano Overlay, but we will be adding this feature in the near future so you can globally turn off Note On/Off events for Enter/Leave. Thank you for the feedback!

Has this feature been implemented yet? If so, how do I switch it on?

Thanks!

Hello, yes it is possible to slide out of areas now. Just go to Morph-XXXX, check the “Slide Out of Areas” checkbox and then press “Send Map to Morph”.

2 Likes

Are you kidding me? A response within an hour on a Sunday to new member?!?! You guys rock!

1 Like

A follow-up: The functionality I am looking for is the ability to slide from one note to another without retriggering a Note-On. When I check the “Slide Out of Areas” check box, I am seeing a pitch bend/glide by a semitone regardless of which note I glide to - is there a way to achieve the functionality I am looking for?

Thanks!
-s

Hi, pitch-bend is interpreted by daws in several ways and we have several ways to adjust pitch-bend so hopefully some of this helps.

1. MPE: If you start with a Piano MPE Overlay, each area has a pitch-bend range. This is in mm because this tells you how far you can bend to get the full range of pitch bend. For a 48 note pitch bend range would cover 2 Piano Overlays (a piano overlay has 24 notes or 2 octaves) so that would be 2 times the width of a Morph (230mm x 2 = 460mm). So if your DAW supports MPE, set the note range to 48 and it should glide to note below your finger.
  2. Standard MIDI: For everything not in MPE, we have a global MIDI pitch-bend found under Morph-XXXX that can change the pitch-bend range. We separated the two because many DAWs do not support MPE or multiple octave pitch bend range by default so there was little expression for vibrato. But you can recreate the same range for non-MPE areas by changing the pitch-bend range to 460mm
  3. Pitch-rounding: By default, we do not round the pitch at all and instead glide across the entire pitch-bend range, but under Morph-XXXX, you can set the pitch-rounding, which uses different algorithms to have the bend jump from note to note (for 48 note range). We have more detail on our guide, but gravity is probably what would work best. It does not care what note is underneath but moving the same distance bends the pitch in the same way and is approximately where the note is on the Piano Overlay.

We do understand why some users may want the pitch-bend to jump to the note you are over based on the area and will look into that as a possible future feature.

1 Like

Excellent - thanks for the detailed response.

A couple of points on how it worked for me:

1. MPE: Pitch bend range was not something that is a global setting in my DAW (Cockos Reaper), however it can be set in the soft-synth assigned to the track. (I am temporarily using Stagecraft’s Infinity synth - it’s free! - until I decide among the variety of MPE compatible synths available). I’ve also tried it with Air’s Loom softsynth. Both synths offered +/- 24 semitones (48 notes) pitch bend range. Based on your instructions, the glide worked flawlessly.
  2. Standard MIDI: I did not try this out.
  3. Setting pitch rounding among the different algorithms yielded different results (smooth and gravity had subtly different results, while the jump setting was dramatically different). Your point that the algorithm does not care what note is underneath was quite apparent during glides - the correct intonation for the ending note was found somewhere close to the edge between two notes. So to get good real-time performance results, a note-based pitch rounding feature is essential.

The endgame for me is to establish functionality on the piano layout similar to what can be found in grid-based controllers such as Roger Linn’s Linnstrument and Jordan Rudess’ Geoshred/Geosynth apps and apply it towards glide-heavy musical styles (primarily Indian classical music).

Additionally, I am exploring creating a grid layout using the Innovator’s overlay - I’ll keep an eye out on the forums to see if there are better minds than mine that have already done it.

Thanks again for the prompt and detailed responses.

1 Like

wait, you guys decided you would measure pitch bend in millimeters? i’ve been searching everywhere to find out what mm could possibly be, and i’ve finally found it on this page. millimeters of overlay. wow.

Yes, mm was used because it specifies the maximum distance you move to edge of the pitchbend range. This is important in a feature like MPE because the number of keys depends on how many octaves are on your keyboard. On our Piano Overlay, the pitchbend should be set up for 48 notes over 2 Overlays.On a one octave piano, the range would need to be doubled to offer the correct pitchbend experience for the Overlay. .

I am trying to accomplish this exact feat - step accurate pitchbend over a single sensel. I’m probably missing something simple here but would greatly appreciate any tips on how I can get this functionality working. I’m using MPE in Bitwig and standard MIDI in Ableton. In each case, I’d like the keyboard pitches I slide into to be the pitches recreated by the software, but the scaling is smaller than it needs to be for this to occur. Thank you in advance for your help!

Thanks, this really helps! However, I would love to have this setting included in the overlay rather than as a general device setting. With different overlays I want different behaviour with regard to pitch bending, e.g. classic piano vs. MPE
(Furthermore, I would love to be able to use different physical innovator overlays that automatically change the logic overlay. But that is mentioned as a future feature somewhere already…)