Still frustrated with Sensel Morph as Graphics Tablet 2 Years Later

Art, yes, I sold the Morph with the case, art overlay and a stylus. I spent $256 in 2017. I sold it on eBay for $175 plus $19 tax and $15 shipping.

1 Like

I purchased the Morph as a music tool only. As a MPE controller that is small and portable. And as a Buchla Thunder input device. Which performs very well, exactly as I expected. And as a QWERTY keyboard, but this didn’t really perform as expected.

I was also a Kickstarter backer. It seemed so exciting and more versatile as a drawing/painting tablet than the Wacom I had at the time, so I put my money down and waited for over a year for the Morph to be shipped. Sadly, I have never had much luck with it as a drawing tablet or trackpad and absolutely NO luck using a paint brush with the Art Overlay (of which, I have two). I just took the Morph out today to give it yet another try and no joy. I will be putting mine up for sale. Really disappointed.

Hi - I was also an early adopter via the Kickstarter campaign, and bought 2 morphs, plus a whole bunch of overlays. I’m primarily using Sensel for music, but my wife is an artist, so I had planned for her to use the Art Overlay. Now that we are again in Lockdown (thanks, Covid19), I’m trying to find out the best drawing or graphics software to use with Mac, but I notice the Art Overlay does not support Mac OS after v10.11… so have I now got some useless e-junk???

1 Like

Hey @wharf99 - thanks so much for being an early adopter. I’m glad to hear that the Morph has been useful as a device for music. Unfortunately, the Art Overlay didn’t live up to our standards so we are no longer supporting it or selling it in our store. I know this must be frustrating and disappointing for you, it is for us too.

I did the Kickstarter too and had very high hopes to use the Morph as a drawing tablet. I’m still impressed with the tech, but unfortunately, I’ve yet to be able to use it as a drawing tablet as envisioned.

For me, support with GNU/Linux was important and it seemed like support would be there from the Kickstarter, but it was disappointing to see Windows and MacOS taking the spotlight. Getting the Sensel App native to GNU/Linux was a big win. It made it easier to try the Morph with different settings.

So far, I’ve only been able to use the Art Overlay. The Pen and Brush modes without using any overlay don’t seem to work.

For the Art Overlay, the difficulty is that the Morph is too sensitive. Any touch would register enough to cause "paint’ to be put down. This makes it difficult to move around the canvas and figure out where the cursor is without putting down a dab of “paint”. I found that I needed to adjust GIMP and Krita to only register pressure once the pressure went beyond 30-40%; that way, light pressure will show where the cursor is, before applying “paint” with more pressure. (In GIMP, for example, the Opacity to Pressure graph is flat for three grid squares, then diagonally upward to full, kinda like _/ instead of just /. Size, or any other adjustment, to Pressure would have the same _/ graph.)

With adjusting the pressure graphs above, I was able to use the Morph like a tablet with a stylus (using a small tipped plastic stylus). Unfortunately for me, there was still some weird lag with getting input from the Morph, so the strokes weren’t smooth, sometimes stalling, then catching up.

For now, it seems like software needs to catch up with the sensitivity of the Morph and perhaps Sensel may need to investigate the data lag in GNU/Linux to make the Morph useful as a drawing tablet, should Sensel want to revisit drawing.

Alternatives are, of course, Wacom, XP-Pen, and Huion for drawing tablets, with the latter two, much cheaper than the Morph. For roughly the same price point as the Morph, the latter two offer built in displays.

I’m still impressed with the tech, but unfortunately, I’ve yet to be able to use it as a drawing tablet as envisioned..

1 Like

100% agree w/ this statement.
With that being said, I really would like to sell my TWO morph tablets if anyone is interested or knows of an ideal online outlet to sell it from. I really dont want mine and i/m sure/hope it would make someone else much happier.

1 Like

How much are you asking for the two Morphs?

…Tim…

I’m interested in your TWO Morphs. How much are you selling them for? reverb.com is probably your best bet for selling them, if you don’t sell them to me.

…Tim…