I’ve been making progress and refining an idea to circumvent limitations and maximize the usability of the Morph, and am sharing it here to possibly help others and invite conversation on improvements from the community and developers.
What my Overlay is currently:
- The Innovator with the rectangle middle section physically cut out.
- A Mouse Pad (Insert) cut to fit the middle section of the Innovator.
- Areas drawn onto the Mousepad with gray sharpies.
- Insert feels amazing and stays in place. Depends on MousePad top for finger slide, base for grip.
- Insert significantly decreases inherent corner/edge issues with existing overlays. Because Insert is not physically attached to the outside edges of the Innovator, the pressure is FAR more accurate and not jumpy at all.
- Truly customizable. Make whatever you want.
- Lines more visible than beneath the default Innovator Overlay.
- Easy to make, cheap.
- Left and right sides of Innovator Overlay is flimsy when middle is gone.
- Have to make it all yourself (cutout, try mouse pads, etc).
- No physical borders (same con with normal Innovator Overlay).
- Gotta cut the Innovator Overlay.
Ideas I’ve tried but haven’t fully tested:
- Clear plastic Insert drawn on the other side (looks ok, but plastic isn’t good for finger slide).
- Clear plastic Insert as a base, with mouse pad (or other material) cutouts glued onto the plastic insert. This has huge potential, one is drying as I type and I ordered a few different adhesive pads to test with.
- Cutting the other Official overlays out, and dropping them into the Innovator.
That’s the current rough idea of how Sensel (or Modders) could make their Overlays into modular templates:
- The Innovator Overlay with the rectangle middle section Physically removed.
- Purchasable modular inserts that drop into the middle section of the Innovator.
This would keep existing Overlays relevant for hot swapping, while offering more accurate and highly personalized Innovator overlays. Modular inserts would have no need of the Magnets, which should make them far easier and cheaper to produce, and easily modded for the adventurous.
Regardless, I’ll continue working on this. In the meantime, any inspirations or brainstorming is welcome here.