Morph to MIDI Hardware: Compatibility

If the Morph is connected to the Hermod, is MPE able to be used?

I believe so…but I’m not really sure how it works. This is probably a question Squarp could answer better.

Note that as of firmware 2.3, the Expert Sleepers FH-1 also works

Hello, I have just received my Morph and I have been having a great time playing software and hardware with it. I have connected my DSI Tempest via Kenton Midi USB Host mkII, Costly connection and now it seems I need a different way to connect to my Teenage Engineering op-1. This devise has a mini USB (B type) connection. It does not seem possible to simply run a USB-C to USB Mini-b and control my op-1.will i need a usb hub or other device?
edit: i have tried it on low power mode.

Tempest: so nice.
For the OP1, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t act as a host, so you can’t connect directly. You would need to route MIDI through a computer, I believe. I don’t know the other connection possibilities with the OP1, I’m sorry!

This is very disappointing. I feel if this is made to me a “morphable” unit connectivity should be a main priority. So far I have spent nearly as much on connectors as I have on the morph itself and each unit has been a whole learning process just to connect.
Here’s a good one:
I thought “how nice would it be to sit on the couch and play my iPad on the morph”. Well my boss system in my living room only connects to audio through Bluetooth, well I was gonna connect my pad to the morph Bluetooth, s#it. Ok well I guess I go spend $40 on a camera connection kit from apple 30 on a 15ft long lightning cable(to reach to my couch) and another 12 on a 5v USB adapter. And now I’m stuck with a cord/leash! Kinda defeats the reason for having an internal battery. In fact I can’t see why this thing even has one as I have not been able to have a set up yet that is not connected to the wall. This is just one example of how it has gone trying to get started with your product. This as well as other issues I have had to research myself online to solve. I could go into my hub problems or having to by a Kenton box for my tempest and I’m still looking into how to control my octatrack as well. I’m sure it will cost another 100. Buying a morph is like buying a boat. Cost more after you buy it.

The flexibility of the Morph is in its interface. It’s also pretty unique in that it can connect with USB and with Bluetooth. Not many controllers can do this! It is a drag you are coming up on limitations but we feel there are a lot of capabilities that the the Morph has - multiple types of USB messages, Bluetooth connection, the ability to design your own interface, and an API for even deeper experiments.
In the same way the TE and DSI/Sequential limited their connectivity options by not including a USB host, the Morph’s design is guided by computer and tablet connectivity.
In general, if you want to go outside that some additional equipment is needed. For serial MIDI (5 pin DIN), the Kenton works great. For iOS, Bluetooth usually work, with audio out of headphones or a wire. For eurorack/modular, a usb host with CV out is the necessary bridge.
Some devices have a host built in - the TE OPZ, 1010 Blackbox, Buchla Easel Command, Endorphins Shuttle system all come to mind. There are no doubt others!

I have tried using the kenton usb midi host mkii with 3 different usb hubs, and have updated the Kenton firmware in an attempt to connect to my op-1.
No luck.
I also can not get it to connect via bluetooth in my ipad apps even after i find and connect it via system preferences. Please advise.

Has anyone confirmed getting the Morph to function as a host for Sequentix Cirklon? It actually seems to lock the machine up when I plug it in. Could the Morph be acting as a host device itself and getting into some infinite loop? I can confirm it does work on 1010Music Blackbox. If you don’t have a Cirklon lying about I guess it might be hard to test this. But if you can give some information on the host device, I can communicate that to the developer. Is the Morph class-compliant? I would assume not since I needed to install drivers for it first but just wanted to make sure. The Cirklon recognizes my other controllers.

This is not an uncommon problem with USB hosts on hardware. Most of them are looking for only USB MIDI, however, the Morph presents as a composite USB device - keyboard, gaming, trackpad, MIDI, and serial. For companies that have made the adjustment (expert sleepers, endorphines, snyderphonics), it was not too complicated of a fix on their firmware as I understand it. If you want to get in touch with them we can see if there’s a way to help them get it fixed.