Multi-touch areas, keys or pads

Hi forum,

wouldn’t it be nice to change the behaviour (outgoing message) of the Morph if a key or a pad is hit with two or three fingers instead of one? Playing a different MIDI note on a drum pad when its hit with two fingers would probably be the simplest idea, but there could be many more options.

• Changing Pressure, X or Y to a different CC in MPE mode when two respectively three fingers are being used
  • switching on After-Pressure or Pitch Bend when using two fingers in MIDI mode
  • jumping up an octave
  • selecting a different MIDI channel and thus another instrument

I imagine this could be done by multiplying the options given right now for two and three finger.

If you want to take it even a step further you could think about gestures. How about Pinch on a slider to zoom in?

2 Likes

Hello, thank you for contacting us. We have been exploring gesture options with the widgets and agree it would be a great feature.

2 Likes

Widgets? What’s that?

Oh, sorry, widgets are the internal name for the control areas.

1 Like

Ah, great, thank you! I really think more programming options could lift this to a whole new level. Because your hardware is freaking awesome!!!

1 Like

I definitely need this for my pan drumming template! It would be awsome as part of the Sensel App!

1 Like

Since it isn’t supported by the Morph, it could probably be done using a USB-MIDI compatible microcontroller (like the Teensy) interfacing with the Morph’s serial interface. It wouldn’t be trivial, and someone familiar with embedded programming would need to do it. However it wouldn’t be that complicated to do either.

In short: assuming Sensel doesn’t implement this feature anytime soon, someone could be hired to implement that feature external to the Morph.

hey,
i have these same issue if you know how to fix it please tell me

regards

2 Likes

Hi namanjohnson101,
I guess there is no fix to this. It needs to be implemented. But unfortunately development is really slow here.

1 Like

One way of doing something like that now would be to put a midi filter in between the morph and the destination software.
For example, Mozaic on ipad could be set up to detect multiple note on messages on the same note (sent on different channels), and turn that into the relevant message on an output channel.

1 Like

i wonder if anyone got fix for it ? vidmate app

Hi, any news on multi-touch areas? I’d be especially interested in multi-finger MPE or MIDI XYZ areas. The obvious solution would be to use consecutive MIDI channels for MIDI CC, and different notes for MPE.
Cheers!

Hi again, after actually trying it out, the MPE xyz area does support multitouch, rotating by channel. However, I don’t get it to report more than 7 touches.
It would indeed be nice to have a generic multi-touch option for all area types.

1 Like

I don’t have any touch limit in my use of the Morph, since I use the API and write my own software. But I love hearing someone say they want more than 7 touches, since that means they may actually have an interesting use case in mind that needs that. What kind of interesting applications for the Morph are you thinking about?

…Tim…

Hi Tim, thanks for asking!

The morph is the controller for my main instrument based on CataRT, with which I perform regularly (see music.concatenative.net).
My control mapping uses a square area for navigating through the corpus and 2 multi-touch strips for effects and rhythmic triggering, so I’m quickly up to 10 fingers…

I’ve been using the morph via the Max external, but want to try out MPE to check if the latency is better, and allow more flexible routing in Live (for the M4L version of the instrument called SkataRT).

Best…
…Diemo

1 Like

I really think more programming options could lift this to a whole new level. Because your hardware is awesome