Making Overlays with Cricut

On a lark, here’s a recent attempt at making the Linnstrument Layout a little more tactile.

The Cricut was used to cut out 2 layers of contrasting 60# paper (with light spray adhesive to stick them together) and a pen to mark out the root note pads. It slides only a little bit more than just the innovator overlay by itself. I cut it smaller than the silicone overlay to give the bottom magnets more purchase. My own small magnet stash is out in a workshop I can’t access right now.

You can feel the ridges under your fingertips clearly, and the ‘white key’ contrast with the black Morph surface (showing through for the ‘black keys’) is a clear, more so than a black and white paper printout (for me, and my dying laser printer at home). I must be pretty heavy handed (also a bassist by training) so there’s still enough sensitivity for me even for fast playing. Lighter touches and slides still work well.

A good Version 1 with plenty of room for improvement. Very quick to put together. The tactile hints really help.

3 Likes