Making Overlays with Cricut

Does anyone have any experience with Cricut cutting machines? Do we think they could work for prototyping overlays? I believe they are most commonly used to cut vinyl (the raw material).

1 Like

Max material thickness is 2.4mm on the Maker model. It’s alright within its constraints. I use one for making controller overlays from cardstock or vinyl, mostly. If you want some tactile depth or material options it could work, depending on what your expectations are.

It’s a nifty gadget for printing out a controller overlay and then having it cut out all the fiddly button & knob shapes for you.

1 Like

Awesome. Exactly the answer I was looking for. Do you have any examples of overlays you have made with it?

Here’s a selection of some older projects using cardstock, sticker paper and vinyl:

4 Likes

Nice work! Thank you for sharing!

Any examples of Sensel overlays made with the Cricut?

Not yet for a tactile template. I’ve only used it to cut out overlay creator printouts to check for dimensional accuracy (it’s fine).

1 Like

Hi
How did you glue the cutout overlays on the launchpad mini?
This looks very professional!
Happy Xmas,
Christian

TY! The vinyl has its own adhesive backing. If I remember correctly I used Oracal 651 permanent vinyl, matte black. Good stuff. It’s been on the launchpad since 2017.

Thank you!
I can find Oracal 651 permanent vinyl, what is TY?

Sorry, TY = “thank you”.

I used the Oracal vinyl, nothing else. It has good adhesive.

Oh, in this case, of course
TY!

I was able to make an overlay on a Cricut machine from two layers of vinyl stuck to a piece of thin foam (from Michael’s). I embedded magnets into the foam and thin pieces of tape on the back hold the magnets in. Since my friend and I only had black vinyl left, I decided to try and color the top layer by hand, which was a mistake. Although this first prototype turned out a bit messy, it is actually good fun to play. The feel of the soft foam under the vinyl is actually quit nice and the Morph remains incredibly sensitive.

4 Likes

This looks awesome. Thank you for sharing! Would love to see/hear how it sounds if you ever get a chance to make a video as well.

Yes, I will make videos about this and a couple of other overlays very soon.

1 Like

On a lark, here’s a recent attempt at making the Linnstrument Layout a little more tactile.

The Cricut was used to cut out 2 layers of contrasting 60# paper (with light spray adhesive to stick them together) and a pen to mark out the root note pads. It slides only a little bit more than just the innovator overlay by itself. I cut it smaller than the silicone overlay to give the bottom magnets more purchase. My own small magnet stash is out in a workshop I can’t access right now.

You can feel the ridges under your fingertips clearly, and the ‘white key’ contrast with the black Morph surface (showing through for the ‘black keys’) is a clear, more so than a black and white paper printout (for me, and my dying laser printer at home). I must be pretty heavy handed (also a bassist by training) so there’s still enough sensitivity for me even for fast playing. Lighter touches and slides still work well.

A good Version 1 with plenty of room for improvement. Very quick to put together. The tactile hints really help.

3 Likes

I’m assuming I can create in another app and upload my creation into design space, rather than doing it all in design space. Is this possible?

Yes. I import .svg or .png files created in other programs.

Does anyone have the files necessary to upload to Ponoko or design space… for a linnstrument layout,I’m not very savey in graphic design.

Very nice work! that looks awesome !..do you have the files to upload to the cricut…I am literally thinking of buying a Cricut machine just to make one “linnstrument”/4ths grid overlay