Making Overlays with Cricut

Shared the project on Cricut’s Design Space here, unfortunately you’ll need an account to view it.

I think I just took the png export from the Sensel App straight into Design Space (twice), sliced out sections for the different layers using the import tools, then did some combine/slice work after making sure things were sized correctly according to the Sensel docs and according to the Sensel App svg.

Design Space was lagging too much with the svg, so I used the png. In the end it was quick work for these simple shapes. That’s a long way of saying I don’t have simple .svg files to share. If you just want a single layer cutout, the Sensel App’s export would serve well.

1 Like

Still waiting for someone to help me with the issue?

Regards..

Did anyone here use Cricut Explore Air 2? I figured out that my machine has some problems with Bluetooth, it doesn’t connect to any of my devices. Did you have any similar problems?

I recently bought a Cricut Maker as I do sticker designs for Lego and wanted a machine that can do kiss-cuts on small detailed vinyl stickers. After reading the reviews and comparing the Cameo vs. Cricut machines I decided the Cricut Maker seemed the better option. How wrong I was! The machine itself is actually fine but Cricut Design Space is an absolutely appalling piece of software. Common issues aside (lack of design functions etc) my biggest issue is that I have no control over the quality of the print in the print-and-cut feature, and it appears to only output at something like 100dpi, resulting in pixellated and unprofessional images (i.e. ones that I can’t sell, basically).
https://www.craftyhangouts.com/cricut-for-making-shirts/
I have had the Cricut for about 2 months now so am past the 30 day return period (from Amazon, where I bought the machine).

There are some workarounds but they are awkward, e.g. I can print to pdf in Design Space, load the pdf into an art package and then overlay the sticker images with higher resolution ones, save again as pdf in 600dpi, print that, and then get the Cricut to cut the image. This I recently bought a Cricut Maker as I do sticker designs for Lego and wanted a machine that can do kiss-cuts on small detailed vinyl stickers. After reading the reviews and comparing the Cameo vs. Cricut machines I decided the Cricut Maker seemed the better option. How wrong I was! The machine itself is actually fine but Cricut Design Space is an absolutely appalling piece of software. Common issues aside (lack of design functions etc) my biggest issue is that I have no control over the quality of the print in the print-and-cut feature, and it appears to only output at something like 100dpi, resulting in pixellated and unprofessional images (i.e. ones that I can’t sell, basically). I have had the Cricut for about 2 months now so am past the 30 day return period (from Amazon, where I bought the machine). There are some workarounds but they are awkward, e.g. I can print to pdf in Design Space, load the pdf into an art package and then overlay the sticker images with higher resolution ones, save again as pdf in 600dpi, print that, and then get the Cricut to cut the image. This takes ages to do properly though and the cut accuracy is never 100% My questions therefore focus on SCAL2, which I have read still works with the Cricut Maker machine (or can be made to work with it). 1) I’m concerned that SCAL2 isn’t actually that readily available anymore - there are posts / comments about most of the ones being advertised actually being fakes or pirated versions, e.g. there are some for sale on the UK Etsy store but are they real??? 2) Does anyone know if SCAL2 will actually work with the Cricut Maker? If so is it awkward to get it to work, or can it be made to work reliably with that machine? 3) MOST IMPORTANT! Does anyone know what the dpi / print quality is like if printed via the SCAL2 software? This is my major issue with Design Space. The quality of the printed images just isn’t good enough, and my understanding is that Cricut aren’t going to be improving it anytime soon. I have an inject printer that can output much higher than 600dpi, but for quality purposes I would need SCAL to output print-to-cut images at a dpi of AT LEAST 600pdi. Does anyone know if it can do this? 4) Last option - maybe I’m making this all way too complicated and should just buy a Cameo machine? If so does anyone have experience of printing vinyl stickers with a Cameo, which one, and what is the print-and-cut quality like? (e.g. can it print at 600dpi?). I’m loathe to spend hundreds more £££ on another machine but it might be the only feasible solution at this stage.) takes ages to do properly though and the cut accuracy is never 100%

My questions therefore focus on SCAL2, which I have read still works with the Cricut Maker machine (or can be made to work with it).

1. I’m concerned that SCAL2 isn’t actually that readily available anymore - there are posts / comments about most of the ones being advertised actually being fakes or pirated versions, e.g. there are some for sale on the UK Etsy store but are they real???

2. Does anyone know if SCAL2 will actually work with the Cricut Maker? If so is it awkward to get it to work, or can it be made to work reliably with that machine?

3. MOST IMPORTANT! Does anyone know what the dpi / print quality is like if printed via the SCAL2 software? This is my major issue with Design Space. The quality of the printed images just isn’t good enough, and my understanding is that Cricut aren’t going to be improving it anytime soon. I have an inject printer that can output much higher than 600dpi, but for quality purposes I would need SCAL to output print-to-cut images at a dpi of AT LEAST 600pdi. Does anyone know if it can do this?

4. Last option - maybe I’m making this all way too complicated and should just buy a Cameo machine? If so does anyone have experience of printing vinyl stickers with a Cameo, which one, and what is the print-and-cut quality like? (e.g. can it print at 600dpi?). I’m loathe to spend hundreds more £££ on another machine but it might be the only feasible solution at this stage.