Anyone developing an external to connect the Morph directly to Cyling '74's Max?

Hello,

Currently one can connect the Morph to Max through a microcontroller and a serial connection using the Innovator’s overlay. However in this case the serial baudrate cannot go over the hardware limit of the little serial adapter which is part of the overlay. It seems to be an issue for very fast and multi-touch gestures so a dedicated external might be an improvement. Such a development would also allow to get rid of the microcontroller and maybe allow several Morphs to be connected simultaneously.

So, is anyone developing an “external object” to connect the Morph directly to Cycling '74’s Max?

I have made a try to merge the Morph C API examples to the Max SDK under Windows but without success so far. I’d be glad to go on with some assistance if anyone is willing to join.

Actually I ended developing it myself. It’s ongoing.

The Max external (64-bit, Windows) is available here. The source is provided too so people wanting to compile them for MacOS X might have a try.

Cool! We have been working with C74 on this for a cross-platform version. Care to give it a try? PM me!

1 Like

Hi @peter_sensel
very interested to try your external

Cycling '74 has released the external! Read their write up.

I did a patch and a write up for the Sensel blog, using the Morph and Max to create a novel interface for messing with a 3D OpenGL object.

I think your Blend link might be the wrong file. Looks to be an Ableton project, with audio samples and no max source.

Possible I misunderstood the point of that link?

You went to https://blend.io/sensel/generative-video-with-max-and-morph?
Strange. here’s what I see:
in the browser:
https://imgur.com/a/qK2RD
in the finder:
https://imgur.com/a/dHqR3
It correctly identifies it as a Max project on my end, and I have the files synced on my desktop.

I can try some other tests, but I just want to 2x check with you to see what the difference is!

Ah, got it!
Blend comes with a demo project, and opened that instead of your file when the pull completed.
(also true of the subsequent pull attempts)

Let’s call this a user error, I guess.

hey
i am very interested in having my Sensel talk to Max
I purchased the music production overlay but i would love a simple help file that shows what/how the values are. The Help one on the Package Manager does not seem to respond to the music production one-- so i am assuming i need to read through the docs a bit more but pointers and tips are appreciated of course

Patrick

I guess the music production overlay sends MIDI messages (MPE or classical), so in Max all the MIDI object boxes are your friends (ctlin, notein, midiparse, mpeconfig, mpeparse…).

To check what the Morph sends, midiparse and mpeparse should be used first.

I am having a lot of trouble detecting finger lifts on a finger by finger bases with the Sensel object in Max. It does not seem like anything in the Dict normalizes to zero when a finger is lifted. I see that the total number of contacts is provided but this does not help me.

That does it! I finally created a github repo with some very good examples of using the Sensel Morph in Max. Thanks for the nudge.

3 Likes

did an Open Sound Control client that connect tthe morph with Usine Hollyhock.
it is based on an arduino Mega
no middleware needed as the arduino does some low level conditionning
hollihock send OSC message for the arduino to switch between different mode of finger detection

http://olivar-premier.org/GTC.html

2 Likes

Interesting development, Olivar. I made something similar with a Teensy and a serial connection. However I am happy with the current state of the Max external. I’ll probably go back to the Teensy soon because I want to use at least two Morphs simultaneously and the Max external cannot handle this currently.

Which Ethernet ou wi-fi device do you use to connect the Mega to the network? Also, which data do you send and for how many touches?

Hi

I use an ethernet shield with wiznet W5100

As my OSC client broadcast on the network, allmessages from the morph can be used by more than one computer.

Le mar. 21 janv. 2020 à 12:50, amundsen via Sensel Forum sensel@discoursemail.com a écrit :

I made different operating modes that I can select from the DAW :

• up to 10 fingers with X and Y, and total force
  • number of fingers at first touch, number of finger subsequent, force, area, gistance between first and last finger (this one I use most to select different FX just by the number of fingers I first hit the morph with)
  • XY pad + grid 10x10
  • grid of 120 notes with velocity, pressure and XY pad around notes (moving finger after hitting a note is a pad and do not trig adjacent notes.
  • 10 vertical faders

I use the morph bareback.

1 Like

Hi

Just get my morph yesterday!
I mainly want to use it with Max.
After download and test some of your examples, I realized that I had to unplug-plug the device each time I open a new patch or the Sensel doesn’t work (no datas on the screen and no sound).
Weird because I can see it in max midi devices.

Is it normal?

Are you working with the “sensel” object, or just strictly with the MIDI objects?