[Solved]: "Send Map to Morph" doesn't work anymore

I can no longer send a map to the Morph in Windows 10. I have tried resetting the device, plugging into different ports, re-installing the SenselApp… nothing is working. I notice the Visualizer isn’t working in the SenselApp either. I am using the latest firmware 0.19.216 (why isn’t it up to version 1 yet?), but sometimes the SenselApp says the version is 0.0.0, and pressing the Reinstall Firmware button does nothing.

Help!

OK, weird, I can send maps just fine on my laptop, with the same version of SenselApp and same Windows 10, but not on my desktop.

This sounds like it could be a USB cord or hub issue. Can you try a different cord and port on the desktop?

Well, I just tried a different cable on a USB port I haven’t tried before (back of PC) and it still doesn’t work.

Does the Morph show up on the list of usb devices in the device manager?

Yes, it shows up under Sound, video and game controllers. I see the following events all on November 21

Device USB\VID_2C2F&PID_0003&MI_03\7&2e5b0e2a&0&0003 requires further installation.

——

Device USB\VID_2C2F&PID_0003&MI_03\7&2e5b0e2a&0&0003 was migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_2C2F&PID_0003&MI_03\7&2e5b0e2a&0&0003
Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0x0
Present: true

——

Device USB\VID_2C2F&PID_0003&MI_03\7&2e5b0e2a&0&0003 was configured.

Driver Name: wdma_usb.inf
Driver Date: 07/07/2020
Driver Version: 10.0.19041.388
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: USBAudio
Driver Rank: 0xFF2002
Matching Device Id: USB\Class_01
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\VID_2C2F&PID_0003\204DB24B4D34

——

Device USB\VID_2C2F&PID_0003&MI_03\7&2e5b0e2a&0&0003 was started.

Driver Name: wdma_usb.inf
Service: usbaudio
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:

By the way, it was working fine initially. I could send maps no problem for a few days and then all of a sudden it stopped working and I don’t think I changed anything.

Understood. Very odd. What happens if you move the prefs file out of user data (move it to the desktop) and start the app again?
Prefs are stored here:
%appdata%/…/LocalLow/Sensel/SenselApp/

Aha, everything started working normally after I moved the prefs out. Thank you.

Actually, before I did that things got even worse because of the alternate USB cable I was trying, I guess. I switched back to the original cable and things partly improved. Then I removed the prefs and things are all the way better!

OK, the problem has returned, and there is no prefs file to move out any more. And I want to update the firmware, but there is no way to do that either.

Sorry to hear it. Have you tried unplugging and replugging the USB cable? And do you have other cables you can try? I know we’ve recommended these steps before and you’ve probably tried them, but just want to confirm.

I managed to send a map once when I switched the USB port, but that is it. I have tried different cables, different ports, and re-installing SenselApp. Everything is so buggy it is ridiculous. When I just launch the app, the Morph locks up with a bright white LED in the corner until I unplug it and plug it back in. Sometimes it says the firmware is 0.0.0 and the battery is 0%. Other times it shows the firmware as 0.19.216 and the battery as 100% or 80% or something else. The Reinstall Firmware button does nothing and there is no way to update the firmware. When I go to the visualizer section it sometimes just shows a blank white page or else it shows a message saying the firmware is out of date (which I can’t do anything about) so I can’t use the visualizer. Why is everything so screwed up?

This could be an issue of some other software interfering with the Serial connection. We have found some oddities out there that can interfere, ranging from APS battery backup monitoring software, Citrix software, and a Native Instruments daemon. If you have Citrix, pause that and try again. Otherwise, check what apps startup at boot to see if cancelling any of those improves the situation.

OK, my computer ended up freezing today, forcing a restart. After that I am able to send maps. I think it might be a USB hub that I have, or maybe some software, I don’t know. So I guess it is not a permanent problem anyway, I will just have to target the cause.

I still can’t update my firmware though.