Unexpected interaction with 14-bit XYZ MIDI Pad and Ableton

Hello,
I’ll preface by saying that I don’t know whether this is on the Ableton side or Sensel side that’s causing the interaction, but I’m hoping someone has insight or a solution for this. I’m trying to set up finer control in Ableton using the 14-bit precision setting in the XYZ MIDI Pad. I substituted a slider from the Music Production preset with the pad to do this. As you can see, only the X dimension is enabled, at CC20.

When routed into Ableton, I see that it’s putting signal through Channel 1 at CC20 and CC52, as expected, but when I try to map the incoming data in Ableton, it registers an input at CC32.

Ableton then automatically uses Absolute mode, which seems to follow CC52, the final 7 bits of the control signal, and when forced to Absolute 14bit, the signal controls nothing.

Is there a known method avoid this error and supply 14-bit midi data? I’m willing to test Max4Live, if that’s necessary.

Accompanying second image of Ableton’s MIDI routing because I can’t upload two in one post.

@FlyingSoda Thank you for reporting this issue.

For whatever reason, the 14bit midi stream seems to be “polluted” by a random CC32 message in the stream. We’ve messed with 14 bit before and never noticed this, probably because we never tried Live’s “MIDI Learn” feature with 14 bit MIDI.

We’ve added this to our list of bugs to fix. If you need a workaround in the meantime, you can use a Max patch to MIDI learn the controls to Live, then use the Morph as a controller. Patch attached.

14bitMIDI.maxpat.zip (8.7 KB)

1 Like