12x6 Linnstrument/MPE Grid

Awesome experimentation!

I was able to make a 12x6 overlay with a Cricut machine. The first try turned out a bit messy, but I am confident I can perfect it with another go. More info in the Making Overlays with Cricut topic.

4 Likes

Are you sure about this cc71 issue on Surge? I’ve been involved with Surge Synth for over a year now, mostly contributing on the Linux side of things. I ran this by the team on our Slack channel and the response was that MPE uses cc 74.

Apparently there is no setting for Timbre MIDI CC, it’s just 74.

Could it be that you are confusing things with the 8 macros?

Could you open a ticket on GitHub?

Thanks!!! Does anyone have the template in the form that is needed to upload to PONOKO ?

I would like to know as well?

It is true, I’ve just tested it, as Timbre was not working for me. After I set it to cc71, it works. Here’s from the Surge manual:

Timbre is a modulator used primarily for MPE controllers. It takes the midi CC#71 (timbre) and applies it as a voice-level as opposed to scene-level modulation source. This allows the MPE convention of one-note-per-channel to take an otherwise scene-level midi parameter (CC#71) and turn it into a voice-level modulator.

Would be nice if they followed the convention of using cc 74. Thanks

nice job. i am using your template as a starting point and plan to use

4 x 4 color felt squares cut to fit key size under innovator overlay.

$6.48 for the felt. thinking about some 3d printed grid to be able to use by feel.

colors are modified from

1 Like

Just got mine today, and this thread is what sold me on the Morph. I was hesitant, and had low expectations, but I uploaded the patch at the start of this thread, cut a piece of paper, measured and drew a grid, slapped it in the innovator’s overlay, and had instant success (using Pigments). It works incredibly! I have to believe Sensel is gonna release an overlay like this! In the meantime, I’ll keep enjoying my hand drawn one and thanks to the original poster inspiring and sharing.

3 Likes

Nice!!! Really happy to hear that, Mike. Welcome aboard!

Sensel, please please start selling a readymade 12X6 (linnstrument like) grid. Considering the number of posts on this topic and the amount of effort people investing to make that grid, you can easily increase your sell not only for that grid buo for the instrument itself… My earnest request…

4 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion! I’ll make sure the team sees it. Agreed, we can see that a lot of people would use it!

1 Like

more areas, please! maybe 128 or 144 areas. we can make smaller grid linnstrument like controller, thanks!

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback and have passed along to the team!

I made some restickable overlays based on the @ybr design. Seems to work well so far.

Might print up a batch once I get some of the art modified if anyone is intrested.

6 Likes

Woah, very cool! What service did you use for this?

@kapyroami Is it this? Custom Shape Restickable StickleMe℠ Decal | Sticker Genius

1 Like

That’s it! @peter_sensel your Google game is on point!

They don’t have the most amazing feel but they work quite well for my uses. Feel like a combination of duct tape with post-it note adhesive.

2 Likes

Greetings.

I would definately be interested on the printed overlay. Please let me know. Many thanks.

eugenemartynec@gmail.com

I would be interested in one of these as well. michael@ecompositor.com

@euclid460 @ecompositor, I should be getting the new overlays in this week. Once I make sure that they are correct, I’ll get in touch.

1 Like