Introducing myself

Hi,

My name is Bob “Notes” Norton. The “Notes” came around during the prehistoric usenet/newsgroups days of the Internet where there were 3 people named Bob or Robert Norton on alt.saxophone, 2 before I joined. I took Notes, the name my sister’s business partner called me, and now I’m ‘stuck with it’. It’s OK.

I play sax, flute, wind synth, guitar, bass, drums, keyboard synth, and vocals plus I write aftermarket style and song collections for Band-in-a-Box.

Besides for the BiaB thing, I make most of my living playing in a duo with the person I’ve been in 3 bands with and is now my wife. She is a great singer (yes, I’m jealous of her chops), and plays guitar and Thunder MIDI controller.

I just got my Morph with the Thunder overlay, and haven’t the slightest idea how to use it yet. My duo partner has two actual Thunders and when I learn how to program this, I’ll try to match what she does on the Morph.

But that won’t happen for a few weeks. It’s the end of the busy gigging season here in Florida, and after that the things I’ve neglected around the house need to be done, and finally I’ll be able to play with my new toy (tool on Tax day).

If I like how this works, I’ll give it to my duo partner, and she will put her Thunders into hibernation. I’ll then buy another for myself.

On the gig I play sax, wind synth, flute, guitar, vocals, and sometimes bang my fingers on a Korg PadKontrol for drum sounds. I’m not a natural singer so on difficult songs, I play hand drum sounds on the Korg so I can concentrate on vocal control…

I also make my own backing tracks, and that is where the Morph might come in most handily. I’ve been doing that since 1985 with the primitive MIDI tools of the day.

I registered here so I can lurk for a while and perhaps get some questions answered before I start digging into the nuts and bolts of getting this to work.

In time when I get started, I look forward to interacting with y’all and perhaps someday be able to make useful contributions to the community.

Notes

4 Likes