Sensel morph compatibility with M1Pro

hello there
i know this is a topic already discussed but i can’t find a straight answer.
i was under the impression that Sensel morph were no more updated for the new M1 apple core, but i’m not anymore so sure.
I’m using it with Max Msp, thru an object called “sensel”.
do you guys know of it will still be running on the new M1pro?
i need to change my computer but i’m really afraid of loosing my Sensel!

thanks a lot

Lorenzo

1 Like

While I don’t know the answer to your update question, one possibility for the future is to create a streamlined, dedicated rig for taking input from legacy devices such as the Morph.

I’m looking at a scenario like this myself, eventually, as I have my beloved iMac Pro Xeon, and I am using a finely tuned build of Mojave that I will never, ever update on this machine for various reasons. But now software is being released that is 10.15 or later, and so eventually I’ll need another machine. Still not for awhile I think. But…

When I do, my plan is simply to dedicate this one to recording sessions with legacy software and hardware, (for instance I still even have some 32bit apps I want to take input from! Mojave is the last version to read them) and then transfer session files to my updated machine with Resilio Sync. (Could be various ways).

Macs are capable of very, very long useful lives if treated well, and if not upgraded past their prime fit with their hardware. (Or at least, doing so should be seriously thought through beforehand!)

Instead, you dedicate that machine to particular use cases, just as you would a prized handplane or other specialized tool.

Best wishes!

1 Like

I don’t have an Apple silicon machine and don’t know which functionality the Max object requires. Afaik the Sensel API is composed from two parts - the open source libsensel (GitHub - sensel/sensel-api: Sensel API for communicating with Sensel devices.) and the closed source binary-only senseldecompress. The first is that actual API and the second a library to decompress force data.
In many cases this decompression library isn’t needed as there are high level firmware functions that don’t need to do this on PC side, it is as I understand mostly for low-level access to force data.
So perhaps it’s worthwhile to double check whether you can build the Max (or Pd) objects without this library.

Or you could ask the Sensel guys whether they would be willing to try to build senseldecompress for Apple silicon. (My guess would be they cannot easily release it as open source at this time as this would interfere with some patents. But perhaps in 10+ years when the patent ran out? )

I’m using the Morph and its app with my M1 MBP with no problems (not with Max, though). I haven’t checked but the obvious assumption is that it’s running under Risetta2. But it’s working flawlessly here (controlling Gig Performer, btw).

1 Like

thanks a lot for your answer. IN a way what you’re proposing is exactly what i’m afraid of. I already play live gigs with 2 computers and adding a third one just for the use of the morph it is not ideal. I’m already still on High Sierra 10.13 (!) for these kind of reasons, and i was hoping that Sensel Morph would not become another reason for not updating hardware (!).
But of course is a possibility .
best
Lorenzo

Thank you very much. i don’t have unfortunately the competences to fully understand what you’re saying, but i will ask around me if the opensource libsensel is enough for keeping updated the sensel max object.
best
Lorenzo

ok that’s good news!
you’re saying that the sensel app that you’re using runs under Rosetta ? but everything works fine ? or that you suppose that max object will run under rosetta ?

thanks

Lorenzo

Hello, very sorry for the long delay in replying. The Sensel app runs fine on the M1 under Rosetta, the Morph itself also works fine with the M1. I make no prediction about Max!

My Morph works perfectly with a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro. No need for Rosetta.

I’ve also found that a single USB-A → C adapter (instead of those multi-adapter boxes) connects to the app without any issues.