IPadOS and use with BT as a keyboard

Using the keyboard overlay and iPadOS… when I connect over Bluetooth, the only way I’m able to get keystrokes from the Sensel into an app is to have the on screen keyboard up. That doesn’t seem right…, am I “holding it wrong”, as Steve Jobs would say? :slight_smile:

Great to see a good product from a local company. I live in Boulder Creek, CA.

1 Like

I was just considering purchasing the keyboard overlay, but if the on screen keyboard has to be present, that would be a deal breaker for me! one thing to consider, at least to make your situation better for now, pinch the keyboard down to tiny size, then you can move it around on the screen. I have my on screen ipad keyboard set this way so I can use the swipe text entry.

Oh! That’s a great idea. I’ll try that.

it’s the same with a USB C hub.

It appears that the Morph (with keyboard layout) is not recognised by iPadOS as keyboard HID (Human Input Device). On PC it works, and I guess on Mac and Linux too. Maybe it’s just an iPadOS glitch that will be resolved in an update.

Yes, for any iOS or iPadOS device, the on-screen keyboard will appear and need to be kept on screen when you’re using the Computer Keyboard Overlay.

This is because there’s no way for the Morph to specifically communicate to the iPad/iPhone which overlay you’re using. So, if you switch from the Computer Keyboard Overlay to to the Music Production Overlay, for example, then it would be a problem if your iPad/iPhone still registered the Morph as a keyboard and disabled the on-screen keyboard.

I don’t suppose the iDevice needs to know which overlay you’re using, but couldn’t the morph switch itself into a keyboard mode whenever it recognizes the keyboard overlay is in use, then communicating to the iDevice that it is a keyboard and not something else? even if you had to power cycle the morph for that to work, it would be worth it IMO.

1 Like

I think the main problem would be, that the ios cannot know which overlay is active. It decides at the moment you connect. If you’d take away that overlay to use a different one, it would not deliver the onscreen keyboard when you’d need it.
One way to deal with it could be, to determine the behavior at the moment of connection. If the keyboard is there, you would never get the onscreen keyboard, even if you switched the overlay while being connected, if not you’d always get it.
This maybe could also be an option which could be switched on/off in the Sensel app…

this seems like a good solution.

I’m really disappointed about this. The QWERTY overlay is pretty useless to me if half the screen is taken up by the on-screen keyboard. I really hope some way to change the mode to appear as a real BT keyboard is found. I basically wasted my money on this overlay if not. :unamused:

I admit I also have no use for the QWERTY overlay. Maybe some day there will be a solution for iOS, or it can be used for a Windows tablet. I wonder for what purpose the developers use this overlay.

1 Like

Was this problem solved? :frowning:

No.

I can’t speak for the developers, but it seemed from one of the replies I read that it wasn’t going to be either.

1 Like

Does anyone have a video using it with an iPad? Best regards!

Yes, here is one we posted last year, in which we use the bare Morph as a trackpad for the iPad: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=487761038618017

1 Like

Thank you very much, Matt! I was hoping to see a video of someone using the tactile keyboard overlay with the iPad, so I could decide If I buy it together with the music kit : )

1 Like

I have a topic about the KB overlay and iPad OS. The morph and overlays are great for midi control and MPE but the KB overlay doesn’t work very well in iOS. None of the media/function row keys work, inaccurate typing, trackpad tracking is erratic and the morph is not recognized as a true Bluetooth keyboard meaning the soft keyboard will take up half your screen at all times when typing. It may work well in other OSs (haven’t tried) but I regret purchasing the KB overlay to use with my 2020 iPad Pro.

1 Like

Oh, no :frowning: Thank you for sharing!

Is this going to be fixed anytime soon?

We still don’t have an estimate here. Sorry that I don’t have better news at the moment. Appreciate your patience.