Is it possible to change to highspeed mode from Sensel App?

Is it currently possible to select high speed mode for certain overlays in de Sensel App?

1 Like

Hello, currently only the Drum Overlay is in high speed mode. We have received this request from a few customers and have added it to our internal list of requested features. Which Overlays would you want the option to enter high speed mode?

I’ve seen at least one person ask about using the music production overlay in high speed mode, suggesting 8ms is too much lag for finger drumming. This is intriguing to me as well, but I don’t know enough about how high speed mode works differently or the limitations of it. How far apart would touch points need to be in order to be recognized separately? Also, I think I read somewhere that the latency listed in docs (2ms for high speed, 8ms for full res) is a maximum, so 8ms would be the highest latency depending on other factors perhaps. Can you elaborate on that? I’m no expert finger drummer and I’ve not tried measuring latency in my use, but I feel like my mp and piano overlays respond great.

I’m not sure whether it would be technically possible to implement it as an option for every overlay. People could make the trade off between accuracy and speed. I would be specifically interested in the Music Production overlay for finger drumming and for the Innovators Overlay.

The tradeoff for the high speed mode is two point discrimination. We can still offer very high resolution tracking of a finger in high speed mode, but if the two fingers get too close together in high speed mode, then you cannot distinguish one from the other. So for the Music Production Overlay, on the small piano at the bottom right, you could not play two notes next to each other in high speed mode. However, you can play the 4x4 drum pads without issue. We want to make sure each Overlay offers a good experience, and since we currently don’t have a way to indicate whether the device is in high speed mode or not, we still need to figure out a way to keep this experience from being confusing. Innovator’s would likely be the first to receive this update but we will need to look into this further.

As for latency, there is some variation depending on the OS and the DAW, but our sensor runs around 125 Hz for standard Overlays and around 500 Hz for the high speed. We report our events every frame so our latency would be at worst 8 ms in normal mode (if contact occurs at beginning of frame), or 2 ms in high speed mode.