Is it possible to change to highspeed mode from Sensel App?

Is it currently possible to select high speed mode for certain overlays in de Sensel App?

1 Like

Hello, currently only the Drum Overlay is in high speed mode. We have received this request from a few customers and have added it to our internal list of requested features. Which Overlays would you want the option to enter high speed mode?

I’ve seen at least one person ask about using the music production overlay in high speed mode, suggesting 8ms is too much lag for finger drumming. This is intriguing to me as well, but I don’t know enough about how high speed mode works differently or the limitations of it. How far apart would touch points need to be in order to be recognized separately? Also, I think I read somewhere that the latency listed in docs (2ms for high speed, 8ms for full res) is a maximum, so 8ms would be the highest latency depending on other factors perhaps. Can you elaborate on that? I’m no expert finger drummer and I’ve not tried measuring latency in my use, but I feel like my mp and piano overlays respond great.

I’m not sure whether it would be technically possible to implement it as an option for every overlay. People could make the trade off between accuracy and speed. I would be specifically interested in the Music Production overlay for finger drumming and for the Innovators Overlay.

1 Like

The tradeoff for the high speed mode is two point discrimination. We can still offer very high resolution tracking of a finger in high speed mode, but if the two fingers get too close together in high speed mode, then you cannot distinguish one from the other. So for the Music Production Overlay, on the small piano at the bottom right, you could not play two notes next to each other in high speed mode. However, you can play the 4x4 drum pads without issue. We want to make sure each Overlay offers a good experience, and since we currently don’t have a way to indicate whether the device is in high speed mode or not, we still need to figure out a way to keep this experience from being confusing. Innovator’s would likely be the first to receive this update but we will need to look into this further.

As for latency, there is some variation depending on the OS and the DAW, but our sensor runs around 125 Hz for standard Overlays and around 500 Hz for the high speed. We report our events every frame so our latency would be at worst 8 ms in normal mode (if contact occurs at beginning of frame), or 2 ms in high speed mode.

Is it currently possible to select high speed mode for certain overlays in de Sensel App?

earlier it wasn’t but now we can do it i guess. right?

Summary

9Apps VidMate.vin

Hey Smith. Thanks for posting.

It is not currently possible to switch to high speed mode. It is only available with the Drum Pad Overlay and the API.

Cheers,
Matt

I was hoping to use the sensel morph as a midi performance tool similar to the linnstrument. So far the max software is vastly under-performing anything you’d need to get a decent musical performance timing wise and the resolution isn’t great compared to what it’s capable of. The site calls for .1mm resolution and 1ms frame rate.
Is there any chance we could get an “HD” version of sensel and jit.sensel?

It’s currently not possible to switch on high-speed mode for different overlays. Only the Drum Pad overlay engages that.
I’m not clear on the linnstrument/sensel object comparison - they are quite different! The linnstrument is a MIDI instrument, with each pad/key providing a note and expression data. The sensel object provides access to the raw touch data generated by contacts to the sensors. If you want a linnstrument-type design, I’d recommend using the SenselApp and the Overlay designer to create small MPE pads that generate notes and expression.

That said, yes, the Max object is not the fastest implementation of the API, but it is the most flexible. I suspect part of that is just overhead from Max, though I don’t have all the technical details to back that up.

Can you please explain it in a bit more detail?
I have got some doubts and questions regarding this, maybe you can help me answer them?

Thanks in advance.

What more did you need to know? Please post specific questions.

it looks super rad! i really see how they’re having it as basically an anything controller for ableton, which is pretty incredible. i’d love to play around with it and see what other overlays they’ve already developed!

thanks mate! 9Apps VidMate

it looks super rad! i really see how they’re having it as basically an anything controller for ableton, which is pretty incredible. i’d love to play around with it and see what other overlays they’ve already developed!

i would personally wait to see how far they’ll go with the customizability, if that’s what you’re really banking on.

1 Like

I just tried to use the music production overlay to control the drum machine designer in Logic Pro. The lag was very bad, making the concept of using it like an MPC for live performance a very sad prospect.

Is there anything that can be done to deal with the lag in the music production overlay?

Self reply but I wanted to note here in case anyone else came across this:

Trouble with lag on Logic Pro? There’s a thing called low-latency mode. Turn it on for recording (scroll down past the audio buffer rate stuff, that part isn’t needed for Sensel):

It turns off (some?) plugins while recording. Night and day experience using Sensel with it enabled. Much more fun now.

1 Like

Excellent. Very glad this helped fix the issue and enabled fun times!!!

I’d also greatly appreciate these options