MIDI on Android? It only connects as a typing keyboard... (and doesn't work)

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 running Android 8.0.0. Morph pairs with the phone, but is only recognized as a keyboard (and doesn’t work). The recommended apps in your documentation, MIDI Device Scan and USB MIDI Monitor, do not recognize the Morph no matter how many times I pair and unpair the Morph with the system bluetooth. The Android OS only seems to see it as a keyboard…

Is there a special setting that needs to set in the Sensel app before MIDI pairing with Android can happen? Your documentation is very sparse and help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello, thank you for contacting us. Yes, some Android devices (like the Samsung devices) do not appear to support our class compliant MIDI. We are looking into possible work arounds and causes.

I too have this problem with my xiaomi note6 android phone. can connect and have had the keyboard overlay working but fail to get midi to work. tried MIDI BLE Connect scan see’s nothing. not sure I have the procedure correct in even attempting this.

Update to the above. I did find a work around solution. I did get the sensel morph working on my android xaiomi note 6 using the USB interface on my phone. This is a cool solution as I am going to use the bluetooth on the phone to output sound to my 40 watt boom box to have some crazy portable mobile fun. We will just have to live with the cable until sensel fixes the bluetooth problem. Not sure midi over bluetooth would work anyway with audio bluetooth at the same time. also as a note I’m using the DRC synth https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imaginando.drc and the 12x6 Linnstrument/MPE Grid template to drive it.

1 Like

Hi

Just received my Morph, having the same problem. Has any progress been made on this issue in the past 3 years?

The problem also applies to other overlays: the Gaming overlay is still firmly recognised as a qwerty keyboard. The trackpad works but that’s it.

Thanks in advance for your help

Hey @Tms84, we have no updates unfortunately. We’ve been focused on other developments. I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

Any updates on this? I’m using Google Pixel 5 and MIDI BLE doesn’t work