sonicLab Fundamental map

I recently played around with SonicLab’s Fundamental plugin with the Thunder Overlay. It has some decidedly funky mappings for the notes, and it helps to have a custom mapping for the Thunder. There are only 8 sliders needed for controlling the oscillators that respond to the “white” notes A2-A3 (#s 57-69), and notes 21-37 select presets.
I used the remaining “long” keys as simple CC sliders for modulation mapping.
In the example video, I used Logic, since there were some initial hiccups getting it to work with Bitwig. I used Logic’s MIDI learn to map the sliders and hex pads to control modulation and effects.

Here’s a modified Thunder mapping, derived from the Bitwig MPE map for the Thunder. Preset 9 is the one I modified for Fundamental, so load that one up. This is for Fundamental version 1.0. Scroll down for version 1.1!
http://share.sensel.com/public/Thunder%20Bitwig%20Fundamental.senselmap.zip

2 Likes

I will try this once they release it on iOS!

What CC’s are you using for the mod pads and what destinations on the Fundamental are you linking them to? How do you do it? Is there a midi cc list of what Fundamentals parameters link too? I would love to map those mod slots on the standalone version! Or is this something you are keeping secret until you reveal Sensel’s collaboration with SonicLAB;)?

Fundamental doesn’t have any default MIDI control, except for the standard MPE controllers (CC74, pitch bend, and Channel Aftertouch). For the “mod” controls, I mapped those in the DAW, in this case, Logic Pro X. I used Logic’s MIDI learn system to link the CCs to the plugin parameters.
Mapping the XYZ hex pads is a bit of a rat nest because no DAW deals with multi-dimensional controllers nicely - they all expect a single CC value and grab that first one that comes thru. Follow this guide to understand how to make it work.
In the case of Logic, you can at least edit the assignment, and you’ll want to be aware of some of the oddities that come up.

There’s an update for Fundamental v1.1. There’s a few more direct controls for some new features. You can download the map, load it with the SenselApp, and be sure to load Preset 9 on the Thunder:
http://share.sensel.com/public/Thunder%20Fundamental%20v1.1b.senselmap.zip

REMEMBER!
Remember! When you “Send Map to Morph”, it sends all preset data to the Morph for the currently selected mapping. Once the Morph receives the mapping from the SenselApp, it resets, and preset 1 will be loaded by default. You have to hold the programmer’s bar then tap “9” to load preset 9.

New Features:

• MPE pressure , X and Y components can be scaled with predefined factors such as 0, 1, 2, 3, 1/3 and 1.2.
  • MPE pressure and Y component input can now be mapped with linear, exponential and logaritmic curves.
  • Midi Pitch Bend messages can be used to produce continuous glides on oscillator frequencies.
  • Midi CC31 can be used to control the harmonic ratio value in harmonic distribution mode

How to is in this video:

Great to have an update. Features of Fundamental still a bit difficult to grasp… why just use preset 9? What are the other presets for?

Thanks for all your efforts!

John

It is definitely an out-there software! Hope that video above clears some things up.
The mapping is a modified version of the Bitwig MPE script map.
Fundamental only requires one Thunder preset to use all the MIDI-controllable features, so it’s not necessary to create multiple Thunder presets. I made it “9” because it’s easy to switch to, being the right-most preset.
If someone is using a Thunder map other than the Bitwig map, I’d recommend

• Import the Fundamental map into the SenselApp
  • Click on “Set 9” for the Fundamental map in the Sensel App
  • Select all (cmd/ctl - A), then Copy (cmd/ctl C)
  • Select the Thunder mapping you want to modify in the SenselApp
  • Select the Preset you want to modify
  • Select All
  • Paste (cmd/ctl V)

This is all very cool, but I am also very confused… do I load this map instead of the existing thunder map? in addition to it? I notice that the 2 don’t look the same across the 9 sets, particularly in the set of pads along the top.

Thanks!

OK, I figured it out. I just copy/pasted set 9 from the fundamental map onto set 9 of the default.

Yes, that is one way to do it. The supplied map is a version of the Bitwig script mapping on presets 1-8. As you discovered, you can just copy/paste all the items from preset 9 into another thunder map preset of your choice.

Many thanks for providing this! I just got my Morph and the Buchla overlay. This will be my first time installing a custom overlay. Any chance you can provide step by step instructions? I don’t want to mess things up! Many thanks in advance!

Download the SenselApp. Download the file at the top of this topic and unzip it. Connect your Morph via USB. Open the SenselApp and select “add overlay” and add the Thunder overlay to the app. Then, “Import Map” from the top right 3-dot menu. Navigate to the .senselmap file you previously unzipped. Select it in the file browser and “open.” Select this map on the left. Click “Send Map to Morph” on the top right. The Morph is now programmed with the Fundamental mapping.